Power of Attorney(LPA)


Deciding who can make decisions on your behalf

Planning for YOUR future

A lasting power of attorney gives you peace of mind by appointing someone to make decisions on your behalf if you are no longer have that ability yourself. Whether through age, disability or infirmity, LPAs give you a measure of control even when circumstances mean that you’re not able to make or exercise your own choices.

You just need to tell us who you’d like to appoint as your ‘attorney’ and in what circumstances (as it doesn’t just have to be when you’re incapacitated). If you can’t make it to us, we’ll visit you in your home, workplace or care facility to draw up all the necessary paperwork.

Safeguarding control of your property and financial affairs

A Lasting Power of Attorney for Property & Affairs takes care of your financial affairs to handle your property, bank accounts and other assets. Amongst other things, this means that your chosen attorney can pay your bills and deal with your income and any state benefits such as a pension.

You can dictate when they can invoke this right – for example, if you have difficulty getting out of the house or talking on the phone, you can appoint someone to legally act on your behalf in these circumstances. Alternatively, the LPA might only be triggered when you lack the capacity to make any decision yourself.

Making plans for your personal welfare

A Personal Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney allows you to plan your future and gives you control should you no longer have the capacity to make decisions for yourself. It allows you to appoint Attorneys who can give or refuse consent to life sustaining treatment on your behalf in accordance with your wishes. You can spell out your future preferences, for example, where you might wish to reside, your preferences for medical treatment and such like. By making an LPA you have the opportunity to decide on your future health and social needs and to nominate someone you trust, who understands you and what your wishes are and can act in your best interests.

Deputyship – for those already needing help

If you are in the position of needing to deal with someone’s affairs who has already lost the capacity to make decisions themselves and doesn’t have an LPA (or a valid Enduring Power of Attorney), we can make an application to the Court of Protection for a Deputyship Order. The Court will then appoint a Deputy (usually a spouse or partner or close family member) to deal with the persons financial affairs. Our staff are on hand to guide you through and explain the process.


Share by: